Monday, July 9, 2012

We are now up to week two lesson two

I have done so much since my last post I don't know where to start. I guess I should start where I left off I guess.
 In this photo I have taken the breif given to us & used a transfer design supplied by Karen the teacher. I have modified it a bit to be my own design though. We had to section off a part of the design & colour it using only one colour. I have used a cherry cobbler (Stampin Up felt tip pen)
 On the next section of the lesson we took the original transfer & used it to back some cut outs on the next page. I have modified it again to be my own design. I have also extended the design out side of the cut out shapes. I have also taken the design & using sections of it, drawn it on to hexagons shapes to represent a quilt.
 I have further embellished this page by added some FME flowers & leaves, to show how they could work with this design.
 This page is completely different. I was at first going to do a dragonfly design, but did the flower one instead. I will how ever work this dragonfly design further. The inspiration for this design was from a magnet on my fridge. I drew it then played around with the sizings 0n the printer.
 Here I have decided to add another page over the top of this design. I wanted to create it as a window into the next page, making the reader want to know more. Around the edge of the circle cut out shape I have done needle lacing. The page was attached my tying it to the other page
 This is a piece of FME done onto some quilters muslin, A close woven sort of scrim. It has got a bit more work to be done to it yet before it is finished. I am going to added some quilted Hexagons & some hand embroidery.
 This piece of FME (Free machine embroidery) was done onto some silk organza, that was kindly given to me in a pack of other silk fabric, by a dear friend Isabell. I love how this looks like a series of spider webs.
 This is where week two lesson two starts. We had to collage layers of tissue paper together to give strength to one edge of the piece of tissue that we would use as a page in out books. After the whole thing was dry we then did some FME along the edge of it. It has created a lovely lacy type edge on the tissue. I still have soem hand embroidery that I want to do on this page before it goes into my book.
 I took my experiment further by using some very old dress pattern paper that I had, & added small amounts of a printed tissue paper to the collage. Once dry I then FMEed it & then did some needle lecing on the edge.

Note to self: never do needle lace when you are tired. as you make mistakes. Mine being that I started the needle lace on the wrong side. I was half way throuh before I realised. The corrected myself & left it as it was. As the saying goes: " It is not a mistake, but an extension on my creation" :-)
 In these next two photos I have used two other types of papers for the FME. The first above being some brown paper. The kind you get to cover books with. I have scrunched it & flattened it several times. In doing this it breaks up the fibres in the paper & turns it into a sort of fabric. Lovely for stitching into, both machine & hand. And it does not tear as easily as other papers once scrunched & made into the fabris. The sample below is done on silk straw paper, again another lovely paper to stitch on.
I have really enjoyed this process of making lacy papers & fabrics. I will use this technique again & again I think. Well lots mor to be getting on with ready for my next post. Till then, Cheers.
Warm Hugs
Your Friend
Elizabeth xxx


Linda said...

I love all of your samples Elizabeth. I have been watching Isabel's progress on Flickr and can see what a lot of fun you are having with this. I find it all so interesting, and am having a love affair with papers and stitch at the moment. Take care, stay warm.

Elizabethanne said...

Thanks Linda, it has been a fun process. I to love paper & stitch. Im trying to stay warm, if it stops raining. Hugs Elizabeth xxx